Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Quickbeam



I realize I have two Rivendales that have been sitting in the shop for nearly a year are not being ridden. Of course that will not do. I bought the Quickbeam frame set and wheels on ebay and built the bike up as close to stock as I could. I did use a moustache handlebar which is not stock. The moustache bar made the bike uncomfortable. I rode it several times and never stopped to change the gearing. So, when I reworked it I pulled the Quickbeam crank off and replaced it with a Sugino single speed crank. I switched the wheelset to a set with Phil Wood hubs, Mavic A719 rims with 14 guage straight guage spokes and brass nipples (wheels that will stand up to a 200 pound rider). Switched out the Nitto stem and moustache bars for a Nitto lugged stem, Soma Noah's Arc bar, Oury grips, and Cane Creek flat top break levers. I added my old Brooks flyer special saddle that I had punched and lace to reduce spreading, a Pintle chain and vintage Shimano 600 pedals. Added a blackburn Crossrack for increased utility. This bike is now extremely comfortable and is one of my new favorite bikes.